All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dunstan Chestnut's in a COLD zone 5?

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Thinking about trying a few hybrid chestnut's this spring in a new 3 acre clearcut. The soil is fairly well drained. They will get 100% sun. Just wondering if anybody had any experience growing these in a very cold and snowy zone 5. I am 2,000' elevation and am probably more like a zone 4. They are on sale today for Cyber-Monday....thought about picking up a few to try. Is this just a waste of money in my zone?

Thanks advance.

I know of several mature chestnuts that are in and around the Twin Cities, which are officially 4B. One is a pure American and another is a Chinese hybrid. From what I have read, The Americans are more cold hardy than the Chinese. Considering the blight resistant Americans are likely to be approved, I'd consider planting at least a couple pure American seedlings that you can graft onto later. For the time being I would also plant some of the Dunstans. The Americans could be started as seedlings in pots next spring. Burnt Ridge has some American seeds for sale.