Bark graft pear tree success timeframe

DrewMc

A good 3 year old buck
First time grafting. I grafted two scions per tree on 4/21. My moonglows have buds swelling, but my wild pear scions are not. How much longer until I know whether they took?

I know my scions are a little longer than normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 46
I would expect some signs of life in another 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't be concerned about it yet.

One other thing I wanted to get an opinion on. My wild pear scions came from an older tree that is nearing the end of its life. It is still producing pears annually though. I’ve recently read that you shouldn’t use older trees because odds are it contracted pollen transferred diseases. Any truth to that?

Last edited:
First I have heard of such a thing. I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, especially if you are just grafting a tree for your own personal use.

Usually about 3+ weeks before I see green. Did you put wax or something on the end of the scion to prevent it from drying out? Otherwise looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually about 3+ weeks before I see green. Did you put wax or something on the end of the scion to prevent it from drying out? Otherwise looks good.

I used pruning sealer on ends. Will that suffice or should I use wax?

Last edited:
3 weeks in. Looking like all grafts are starting to leaf out. Pretty excited with the success.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0552.jpeg
    IMG_0552.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 20
I used pruning sealer on ends. Will that suffice or should I use wax?

Something on the end of scion is a good idea so it doesn’t dry out before the rootstock has time to hydrate it. It probably doesn’t matter what you use. I wrap the scion in parafilm but I could probably just paint the tip as it doesn’t lose much moisture through the bark
e72a0a59d5d74433ffdbfb24f99cfd1c.jpg

3 weeks in. Looking like all grafts are starting to leaf out. Pretty excited with the success.

Looking good my brother

Something on the end of scion is a good idea so it doesn’t dry out before the rootstock has time to hydrate it. It probably doesn’t matter what you use. I wrap the scion in parafilm but I could probably just paint the tip as it doesn’t lose much moisture through the bark
e72a0a59d5d74433ffdbfb24f99cfd1c.jpg

Thanks for the tip.I put a little pruning sealer where I cut, but that’s probably not enough.