All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring weeds

Some of the yellow rocket mixed in with the crimson/rye. SW WI.
20240512_154923.jpg20240512_154935.jpg20240512_155045.jpg20240512_155056.jpg

Rye is between knee and waist high. Plan is to mow about 2 acres of this and till it under. Then spray and plant corn into it.

My yellow rocket and rye/clover getting mowed in next couple days. The rye will likely bounce back and still make heads but just be shorter. The yellow rocket before seeding must go. My primary plot is typically clover.

Checked on my overseeded Winter Rye that I broadcast in early October last year. It's about 2' tall. I wish I would have sprayed it a couple of weeks ago and been planting beans this weekend but now I'm not entirely sure what I will be doing with it. I want to go back to beans but I dont have a drill and cereal is quite a mess with the rototiller with old tines.

Checked on my overseeded Winter Rye that I broadcast in early October last year. It's about 2' tall. I wish I would have sprayed it a couple of weeks ago and been planting beans this weekend but now I'm not entirely sure what I will be doing with it. I want to go back to beans but I dont have a drill and cereal is quite a mess with the rototiller with old tines.
I tried to till rye.....once - many years back. What a mess! It rolled up tight in the tiller.....and I vowed to never do it again. Had to cut it out with a sawzall.

Maybe I should mow that stuff and spray it, then till and plant in a couple weeks?

At the house in MN I'm set up for no till, but not here in WI.

I tried to till rye.....once - many years back. What a mess! It rolled up tight in the tiller.....and I vowed to never do it again. Had to cut it out with a sawzall.
Is it the roots or the stalk that's the problem?

Here is what mine looks like after mowing, pretty chopped up. Would only really be worries about the roots at this point in the tiller.
20240513_125011.jpg

A digger/cultivator doesn't do a great job with tall winter rye, but I had good luck running a disk over a tall rye field last weekend in SE MN. My corn and bean plots are in, but I'm a little concerned if the thick rye will negatively impact the corn seed. I guess we will find out shortly.

A digger/cultivator doesn't do a great job with tall winter rye, but I had good luck running a disk over a tall rye field last weekend in SE MN. My corn and bean plots are in, but I'm a little concerned if the thick rye will negatively impact the corn seed. I guess we will find out shortly.
Did you spray the rye or just terminate with the disc? Any pics?

I disked the rye up green without any prior herbicides, but I'll be following up tomorrow with a shot of round up and pre-emergent herbicide. I'm hoping that any of the living rye plants will catch a shot of round up and that the pre-emergent will reduce the water hemp issues I had last year.

I'll try to take a couple pictures tonight to post up. Some of my plot acres are somewhat sandy, so I like to add the organic matter from the rye but it can be a little challenging to deal with.

In the past I brush hogged the rye before disking or digging it in, but that actually was a little harder to dig in, so now I skip the mowing step.

Here’s a picture of my rye strip that was knee high last week. I spread fertilizer, ran a 3 point digger through it, broadcasted seed and then ran a 3 point disk over it to cover the seed.

This plan has worked pretty well for me in the past, but this rye was much taller and thicker than ever before.

Looks like plenty of exposed dirt for your seed to take off without any issues from the rye, in my opinion.

I had the same experience. I used to carry a drywall saw to try and cut it out. I now will use the brush mower to cut it up into smaller pieces.

It is kind of hard to tell from the picture, but the two blinds are about 75 yards apart. The ground blind on the right is a Redneck Bale Blind that is about 10 years old and all of the outer grass layer has blown off over the years. I probably should pull that bale blind and put it somewhere else since we haven't used it in several years.

The elevated Redneck stand is overlooking the back section of the plot that you can't see in the picture, but it is a very good location and we typically bag several deer from that stand every year.