All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a new chainsaw

Can someone link what chain they are using on the ms261 18”? The original chain was awesome, but I have been through two other chains that suck. The most recent will literally smoke when I tried to girdle a hickory this weekend. It’s very new too.

I saw that stihl recently changed their standard bars/chains on the 261s from 0.63 gauge guides to 0.50 gauge on the drive links which seems like a good idea for chain speed? r

My 261 w/ 18" bar has the bigger gauge drive links. I use whatever the full chisel spec chain is for that 18" bar. Dont recall if it's .325 or 3/8". Can look later today.

In general, Stihl has 2 types of chans ANSI low kickback and non-ansi chains. Think the low kickback has a green link, and non-ansi has a yellow link.

.325" and .63 sounds about right for my 2011-ish MS261. I'd buy nother one. Only Issue I ever had was an ignition pack dying in 2018 or so. Cut about 5 or 5 cords for 5 or 6 years. Don't heat with firewood anymore. Just cut camp wood, keep food plots clear, and maintain about 2 miles of trails. Never cleaned the carb yet either. Non-ethanol gas and silver stihl oil cans. Used to make 2 gallons with the 2.5 gallon mix container. Now I only use 1 gallon ones and do 1 gallon on the money. Always fresh gas from the pump.

Several camp members have the farm boss. For almost half the price its a good saw. 261 has about the same power it seems, just weighs less with all the magnesium parts.

2 strokes you don't change oil, you change spark plugs instead.

I abuse my saw alot too. Use it as a substitute to an excavator. Chop trunk roots so I can tug them out. Lots of old dead wood too. I go through bars often and always have a new bar and chain with me.

Last edited:
Can someone link what chain they are using on the ms261 18”? The original chain was awesome, but I have been through two other chains that suck. The most recent will literally smoke when I tried to girdle a hickory this weekend. It’s very new too.
Do you sharpen it?