Encouraging Article on CWD in Missouri

It’s notable because ~350 people die from CJD annually in America. It’s statistically almost impossible that two people that know each other would contract such a rare disease.

Hopefully it’s a tragic coincidence, there is no proof to the contrary but it’s still good to be informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Random distribution isn't as scattered as people like to think. Clustering happens in sets of random distribution. Then considering that they were friends, they likely participated in other activities together, though none of those activities are listed. Perhaps they worked at the same slaughter house. Or maybe they hunted in other places together and participated in the local customs, which may include eating the brains of an animal, like monkey. The problem is that the article gives a very pointed view and shows very little consideration for other factors, or at a minimum does not acknowledge any consideration.

Random distribution isn't as scattered as people like to think. Clustering happens in sets of random distribution. Then considering that they were friends, they likely participated in other activities together, though none of those activities are listed. Perhaps they worked at the same slaughter house. Or maybe they hunted in other places together and participated in the local customs, which may include eating the brains of an animal, like monkey. The problem is that the article gives a very pointed view and shows very little consideration for other factors, or at a minimum does not acknowledge any consideration.

Maybe.

I don’t think the article is jumping to any conclusions. It’s newsworthy even if it turns out to be nothing. I don’t think it’s possible to know one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had it in my head that there were CWD “hot zones” in which impacts to buck age structure was measurably and obviously apparent. Now I’m starting to think that these were hot zones WITH sharp shooters or drastically accelerated harvest. Does anyone know more about such data? I have no agenda, just asking.

I had it in my head that there were CWD “hot zones” in which impacts to buck age structure was measurably and obviously apparent. Now I’m starting to think that these were hot zones WITH sharp shooters or drastically accelerated harvest. Does anyone know more about such data? I have no agenda, just asking.
I agree - like the county(s) in WI with infection rates of 50% or more. Are there few mature bucks? Do folks actively hunt those counties? WI claims a growing deer population due to declining hunter numbers. Is high infection rates of CWD reducing hunter participation?

I'm going by memory so some of these dates may be off a bit......

WI started testing for CWD in the late 90's, and had the first CWD positive in 2001/2002. I think it was 2003 when they established the Deer Eradication Zone (DEZ) in an attempt to kill every deer. Unlimited tags, EAB, landowners had extended seasons, sharpshooters over bait at night, etc..

Hunters started to speak out against this shortly after. Letters were wrote, calls were made, and in 2006 EAB was banned by the legislature. It's still banned today.

The DNR estimates hunting in WI as a $2.5 billion dollar industry with 80% of that coming from deer hunting. In 2022, WI had hunters from all 50 states and 20 foreign countries purchase a deer hunting license. While license sales are down (highs over 600,000 to around 550,000 now), I believe, this is more attributed to worse hunting in the north due to wolves and lack of access to quality land in the south.

The CWD hot zones are still some of the best deer hunting in the nation for quantity and quality. In 2006, the King buck (scored as new WR beating the Hansen Buck - later scored lower) was killed in the heart of the main area of CWD. Overall, these are great areas for hunting. Land prices have skyrocketed just like everywhere else. I have not seen or heard of CWD having a negative effect on much of anything deer hunting related.

I'm going by memory so some of these dates may be off a bit......

WI started testing for CWD in the late 90's, and had the first CWD positive in 2001/2002. I think it was 2003 when they established the Deer Eradication Zone (DEZ) in an attempt to kill every deer. Unlimited tags, EAB, landowners had extended seasons, sharpshooters over bait at night, etc..

Hunters started to speak out against this shortly after. Letters were wrote, calls were made, and in 2006 EAB was banned by the legislature. It's still banned today.

The DNR estimates hunting in WI as a $2.5 billion dollar industry with 80% of that coming from deer hunting. In 2022, WI had hunters from all 50 states and 20 foreign countries purchase a deer hunting license. While license sales are down (highs over 600,000 to around 550,000 now), I believe, this is more attributed to worse hunting in the north due to wolves and lack of access to quality land in the south.

The CWD hot zones are still some of the best deer hunting in the nation for quantity and quality. In 2006, the King buck (scored as new WR beating the Hansen Buck - later scored lower) was killed in the heart of the main area of CWD. Overall, these are great areas for hunting. Land prices have skyrocketed just like everywhere else. I have not seen or heard of CWD having a negative effect on much of anything deer hunting related.
Interesting, I would definitely think that we should expect a lack of mature bucks in hit zones, if the claims about CWD are true (the claims I have believed and repeated).

I have heard from other hunters in our state’s cwd zone that the herd has declined as has the number of mature bucks. Our cwd regs did away with the three point antler restriction and in addition to our already existing two buck limit - removed the requirement to count button bucks as bucks. Button bucks now count as antlerless deer and you can kill three of them in addition to your two adult bucks. It is a war on bucks. In addition, the antlerless limit was increased from two to three deer. It does make sense the deer density would decline - along with age structure

Iowa County is the epicenter of CWD in WI. It's where it was first found and is consistently the county with the most CWD positives. I was curious so I looked at the WI Buck and Records for score, year killed, etc..

Bow - Typical
Screenshot_20240506_141140_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bow - NT
Screenshot_20240506_141221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gun - Typical
Screenshot_20240506_141445_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gun - NT
Screenshot_20240506_141445_Samsung Internet.jpg