Crabapple timeline

The way they describe franklin seems to be best for hard cider. Bittersharp high brix. Find put ifbit makes an ok fresh cider. Likely freeze then press.

I like Franklin as a wildlife apple since it slowly drops apples until March. It has a really nice framework as well, but it seems a little spindly on B118 rootstock. I think a Franklin on a seedling rootstock would be an ideal wildlife apple.

I know Franklin was marketed as a cider apple, but I know nothing about cider so I can't speak to that claim. The apples are pretty ugly and they do not taste good to me, but the deer like them.
My Franklin also held late. It grew very well.

Here is my Franklin cider on B118 as of today. It’s grown well for me but hasn’t blown me away with production and for taste human consumption since I don’t press cider. Apples do hang well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 20
Here is my Franklin cider on B118 as of today. It’s grown well for me but hasn’t blown me away with production and for taste human consumption since I don’t press cider. Apples do hang well for me.
Another comment about Franklin cider on B118 for those that worry about frost dates. Seems to be an early blooming group compared to other stuff. Have several trees at least 50%+ blossoms while most other apples/crabs like red splendor among others about a week out. In zone 4b.
DSC02575 med.jpg

Another reference point for those in different parts of the country the wild plum are just past peak and the uber tall pear in center of pic at peak
DSC02571 med.jpg