All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catscratch House and Habitat build

Kansas has 2 land turtles. Our place is on the very west edge of the brown one (3 toed turtle). As far as I can tell nobody around here even knows the 3 toe exists. I take it as a compliment to habitat management that they show up here once in a while.
View attachment 64255View attachment 64256

That is so cool! We must not have them this far North. Looks like they are mainly in the Southern counties. Never even knew that existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call it "the frog pond". It's dry a lot of the yr but when spring rains top it off it instantly fills with frogs. They croak, scream, screech, and make all sorts of cool sounds. The wife leaves the windows open in the evenings to listen to them. I love hearing them and am amazed at how quickly they find the water.
View attachment 64254

I love hearing that in the evenings. Our neighbor has a series of terraces in a pasture that was previously farmed across the road from the house. They fill maybe twice a year and the frogs are instant! I always wonder how their lifecycle looks.

I love hearing that in the evenings. Our neighbor has a series of terraces in a pasture that was previously farmed across the road from the house. They fill maybe twice a year and the frogs are instant! I always wonder how their lifecycle looks.

My dad has terraces in his front pasture. 30yrs ago I made a bunch of damns across them. Frogs, Redwing blackbirds, turtles, etc all over them. The frogs get almost deafening! And the teal... if you like teal those terrace ponds are great!

I call it "the frog pond". It's dry a lot of the yr but when spring rains top it off it instantly fills with frogs. They croak, scream, screech, and make all sorts of cool sounds. The wife leaves the windows open in the evenings to listen to them. I love hearing them and am amazed at how quickly they find the water.
View attachment 64254

It is SUPER loud at our place right now as well. Amazes me just how loud frogs can be. Science question .... why are they so loud? Seems to me that when your mating partner is probably only a few yards away that your sound carrying 100s of yards isn't really biologically necessary? Maybe frogs have poor hearing..LOL

It is SUPER loud at our place right now as well. Amazes me just how loud frogs can be. Science question .... why are they so loud? Seems to me that when your mating partner is probably only a few yards away that your sound carrying 100s of yards isn't really biologically necessary? Maybe frogs have poor hearing..LOL
I suspect they're the same as human teenagers. They tend to be overly loud and obnoxious around females too.

What a day! Got up yesterday and ran 6. Then watched one of the healthiest cats I've ever seen hunt through my orchard and yard. Then had my Track teams get 1st and 3rd at League. Then got home to see the northern lights for the first time in my life. Great day!!!
Screenshot_20240510_112042_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240510_204929_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240511_134557_Gallery.jpg

Did a little exploring in the orchard. Lots of crabs, apples, and che. Only a few pears. I think a late freeze got them.

Screenshot_20240512_201531_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240512_201525_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240512_201517_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240512_201512_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240512_201507_Gallery.jpg

And of course a couple of pics of this magnificent beast. She loves to watch me run the pasture. Sometime if she's feeling upitty she buck and kick while running next me. A little unnerving when she does that to be honest, but it's just her playful side. Come to think of it most females are a little unnerving when they're feeling playful.
Screenshot_20240512_201644_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240512_201635_Gallery.jpg

Seems like a lot of people ares saying its is going to be a heavy apple production year.

Seems like a lot of people ares saying its is going to be a heavy apple production year.
It'd be nice. I've got one apple tree that only produces evey second yr that has more on it than it's ever had. Best tasting apple ever. Hope it does well!

I have a couple open spots in the orchard, trees that didn’t make it. Probably need to find some replacements one of these days...

You probably run some pretty fast times when that horned beast runs next to you. Is that some type of texas longhorn?

Do you ever have any issues with the cattle with large horns injuring other cattle?

She is a Watusi (African breed).

Horned cows can be bullies at the feed trough. These two haven't been a problem and I hope they stay that way, but they certainly can be an issue.