All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arkansas Black tree issue

Given the fact that a number of apple-care sources say pruning can be done in the summer, as well as the dormant early spring time period, I don't think removing that lower limb caused your tree to fade. Juglone, gypsy moths, dry soil - bad combination of conditions. Gypsy moths, Japanese beetles, tent caterpillars - all can defoliate & kill trees - especially young ones.

I've removed much bigger limbs than the one you took off, and had no negative effects to the trees. I cut off basically half of an Enterprise tree that had a competing main limb to the central leader. The diameter of that competing limb was about 1 1/2" - not a small tree at that point - and it turned out great. Members of the camp thought I killed the tree by such a drastic cut, but going by professional advice from Penn State, it turned out to be the best move for a balanced tree.

So here’s an interesting update..this tree has jumped back to life! It doesn’t have tons of leaves, but they are green and the trees not actively dying..amazing what a little fertilizer and rain (and maybe a little prayer) will do..95DF18C3-2155-4489-BA99-6B59C3D476F8.jpeg

Prayer, patience, a bit of fertilizer, and it helps to get some rain, too. Glad this tree is recovering for you!

Wish I could say the same for my chestnut crab. I planted it last year and it looked great all season. Late winter I trimmed it up a little. It put out one leaf this spring and died.