All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red oak I’d please

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Near ham lake Minnesota

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 35
I'd guess black oak. We have a bunch of them on my place in SE MN and they look very similar. They are in the red oak family.

I was thinking that!

The saturations in the acorn colors got me wishing its a black oak

Hopefully I got some viable acorns!

Do black oak acorns have those stripes? I have a couple black oaks, but haven't seen striped acorns like that.

I dunno?

I read a little bit about them and the description is for "striped" acorns.
My Northern Reds and a couple Blacks are growing together. I can't tell what leave or acorn comes from which tree.

These are beautiful striped, small. I did not know black oaks were so cold hardy.

I have watched this tree grow 4 20 plus years.

It was so small you would have to be careful not to run it over.

Last edited:
The only way I know how to tell is looking at the bark, the red oak family usually have a light grayish stripe along one side of the tree. Red oaks go to about 3 feet from the ground, black oaks gray trail stops about 15 feet from the ground.

Northern red produces a fatter acorn than black oak, but neither of mine have stripes like that.

If you look at the bark it looks gray above 3 feet to me?

I use the "PlantNet" app. it's pretty accurate in my experience. You can photo leafs, bark, etc....

The only way I know how to tell is looking at the bark, the red oak family usually have a light grayish stripe along one side of the tree. Red oaks go to about 3 feet from the ground, black oaks gray trail stops about 15 feet from the ground.
The stripes look like ski slopes.