Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

As someone who has Norway spruce I planted 30 plus years ago. Spacing minimum 15 feet apart. Rows offset 25 feet back. If I had to do it again I would plant white pine on the outer row as they will easily outgrow the Norway but Norway do grow fast. Remember a 3 2 transplant seedling is a 5 year old tree going in the ground. Do not buy anything less than a 3 2 transplant. You will need to dig holes to plant them or use an augur. Always keep a 5 gallon bucket of water with you and throw the seedlings in the water to soak before you put them in the ground. Keep scissors to even the roots out and cut if needed. Do not j root the seedlings they will die. For those who gave you advice on switch grass it's a great idea. Your talking years for the growth to happen.
Or if you want a tighter, denser, screen sooner - plant the spruce at about 8 ft. apart. Then, when your spruce start to touch each other, cut out every other one to let the remaining ones fill out. Just an option, since everyone's needs vary.

Or if you want a tighter, denser, screen sooner - plant the spruce at about 8 ft. apart. Then, when your spruce start to touch each other, cut out every other one to let the remaining ones fill out. Just an option, since everyone's needs vary.
Agree with above or you will be waiting an extra 7-10 years for gaps to fill in. Also if using wider spacing and every tree that dies you must replace with another or that gap is huge. With tighter spacing some mortality is ok with doing nothing.

25 ft between rows might be good for apple trees but seems excessive for spruce planted specifically as a screen. If you want to drive around each tree 20 yrs later to each their own. Different end goals for folks.

Agree with above or you will be waiting an extra 7-10 years for gaps to fill in. Also if using wider spacing and every tree that dies you must replace with another or that gap is huge. With tighter spacing some mortality is ok with doing nothing.

25 ft between rows might be good for apple trees but seems excessive for spruce planted specifically as a screen. If you want to drive around each tree 20 yrs later to each their own. Different end goals for folks.
I'm just glad we planted a bunch for a road screen 27 years ago. Solid green wall - can't see in at all from the road. We just planted more Norway spruce and balsam fir for windbreaks and "deer walkways." Deer like to hug the evergreens when going from point A to point B. Cover when the leaves are down.

The best time to plant a cover screen was yesterday. This was planted almost 34 years ago. Norway and blue spruce. See the shack hidden in the spruce where you can access out the back and from wary eyes in the field

Attachments

• 20240511_101626.jpg
    20240511_101626.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 26
The best time to plant a cover screen was yesterday. This was planted almost 34 years ago. Norway and blue spruce. See the shack hidden in the spruce where you can access out the back and from wary eyes in the field
Nice. Great plan, and you're right about "yesterday." Your evergreens look great!

Bowsnbucks. While sitting in that shack in the picture in the spruce this buck popped our as a 5.5 year old at 15 yards. I let him walk that day and had him dead center of the shoulder at 6.5 with my 300 mag at 75 yards and let him walk again. He was taken 3/4 mile to the north as a 7.5. What a tank.

Attachments

• 20240409_192641.jpg
    20240409_192641.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 13